Russian Easter, Kulich and Samovar

>>  5/07/2013

5th of May we celebrated Easter in Russia. 

I had few ideas of Easter table decoration and stopped at traditional one, with no extraordinary carving :) 
I baked Kulich, a russian easter cake (to my surprise I succeeded,  it was very tasty, believe me!). To add "more traditions" to the party I unpacked my grandma's samovar. 


When I was a child, every summer I had been sent to my grandmother for summer holidays. Some things I loved about her house were her cute dog and a samovar (we had no pets and no samovar in our city appartment). 
We still keep that samovar stored in a board, almost forgotten. So I found it, cleaned and set on the table.

Easter baking (Kulich) and samovar

Recipe of Kulich was taken from "Recipes of Russian Cuisine" blog by Angelica, a Russian lady blogging from Italy. I've never myself baked Kulich before. This recipe is perfect, I made it easily. The recipe ingredients were enough for 3 cakes. 
We left one cake at home, the others were for gifts.

traditional shape of Kulich

Kulich baked in Lekue Pumpkin silicone mold

Russian Kulich baked in Lekue Imperial Monarch silicone mold,
garnished with carved apple
Russian Easter treats and games are Kulich and eggs exchange, eggs fights, making silly faces in the samovar (not sure it's a tradition :)) we did it when were children).


drinking tea with the samovar

8 коммент. :

TempleofThai.com May 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM  

Really beautiful, I wish I could join you for tea and cake! The samovar or so beautiful!

Selena Ze Arteest May 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM  

Karla (TempleofThai), my samovar is always hot for you :))

Unknown May 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM  

Ты просто молодчина!!! Особенно красиво смотриться с самоваром, подносом и прихваткой красной!(у меня тоже такая есть :), но только дома в России). Я очень рада, что вам всем понравилось!!! Удачи!!!

Selena Ze Arteest May 8, 2013 at 5:50 AM  

Анжелика, спасибо! Чудесный рецепт, люблю твой блог :))

Unknown May 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM  

Я счастлива,Селена, что любишь мой блог!! заходи!!! А я, когда вижу все твои творения, то хочеться смотреть и смотреть!!! Красота!!!!!!!

Kathleen Richardson May 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM  

Selena, everything about this post is so appealing. Wonderful cake and like hearing about your memories, particularly the samovar. Is there a story to go with the beautiful tray standing on edge beside the samovar in the first photograph?

Selena Ze Arteest May 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM  

Kathleen, that tray is hand painted, bought by my mom in 80s. That time Russian style was the fashion. Kitchenware, tableware, room decorations and accessories in Russian style, woodwork and metal crafts were in trend.

Today such things can be found in gift shops only, they are quite expensive. Few days ago I passed through a gift store, and saw a samovar there for 500$

SuNiL May 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM  

Selena your blog is so nice with beautiful pictures of Vegetable Fruit Carving
Thaks for sharing.

Post a Comment

LEAVING A COMMENT CREATES GOOD KARMA

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Food Communities

Carving on Foodista Half Hour Meals All recipes are on Petitchef All Cooking Sites

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP