Soap Carving - Tool Set or Thai Knife?

>>  3/10/2013

combine U-knife from the soap carving set and thai knife to carve the soap design
combination of geometrical and floristic designs in soap carving


Q.: What do you use for your soap carving, tools or a thai knife?

A student of mine said that tools don't give the fine effect on soap. I was sad to hear that she was dissapointed with soap carving after trying to carve an elegant design using a carving tool set. I understood that she made some mistakes which caused the dissapointment. If you feel the same about soap carving, this article should help you.

Mind the soap texture

Remember that soap texture differs from fruits and vegetables. Don't 'cut' soap. Often you are enough to 'press' a knife in and 'turn' it to make a shape. Choose designs and carving style depending on soap softness and texsture flexibility. I don't carve thin details in my soaps because they are easely broken ( I mean don't carve in acute angle).

Tools and thai knife work in tandem

I combine tools and thai knife in my carvings. Use tools like U-shape knife for making geometrical designs, and thai knife for carving flowers, waves, hearts and other details. 
Ability to carve details in the same size is very important in soap carving art. So tools helps you in the work at your first steps. 

At Malisa school lessons we used a special soap carving tool set like on the picture below. I saw beautiful designs made with the knives from the set. The cutters from the set can add a cute effect to your soap.


cutters and knives for soap carving design
Soap carving tool set,
the knives from the set can add a fine effect to your soap carving work



4 коммент. :

sofía March 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM  

MARAVILLOSO! como todo lo que tu haces. Besinos

Maaike from www.funandfood.nl March 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM  

Hi,
just to let you know:
I've moved MissGefreubel to www.funandfood.nl
If you still want to recieve notifications, I would like to ask you to register for notifications on www.funandfood.nl (also a wordpress site)

Irmina Díaz-Frois Martín March 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM  

Hola.
Un precioso jabón muy bonito tallado.
Un saludo.

Blackswan March 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM  

OMG, wish I've even a quarter of your skills! So beautiful!

I'm back from hotel reviews in Penang, so glad to be home cause it's super hot there. It's really nice to be greeted by an awesome post like yours. Pardon me if I'm slow in going thru your posts the next few weeks as I'll be tied up with my reviews; but I'll be back to catch up.

Post a Comment

LEAVING A COMMENT CREATES GOOD KARMA

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Food Communities

Carving on Foodista Half Hour Meals All recipes are on Petitchef All Cooking Sites

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP