Pumpkin Carving Exhibition for The City Day

>>  9/24/2012

On the 8th of September Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, my hometown, celebrated 130 year anniversary since the time it was found in 1882. For these 130 years the city has changed 3 names as Vladimirovka, Toyohara and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. The city has belonged to Russia, then to Japan and after all to Russia again. The city has an interesting history. Many cultures have mixed here in one multinational community. 

But my story today is about vegetable carving displays what we made for the CityDay. I asked two of my students to help with the exhibition. And they made a few crafts too.

I made a bird sitting on a pumpkin tower. I carved carnations out of beetroot using the technique learned from Mr.Chat Kunsri at the III Thai Carving Event in Tokyo. 
The 3D pumpkin faces made the visitor smiling and taking photo. 

bird on pumpkin tower exhibition
Bird out of daikon sitting on the pumpkin tower and the 3D pumpkin sculptures

pumpkin sculpture
3D pumpkin face

Ray Villafane pumpkin tutorial exhibition
3D pumpkin sculpture

vegetable carving art bird
the bird details

vegetable carving art pumpkin tower
the pumpkin tower details

I have a break between communicating with visitors

pumpkin carving exhibition
the complete look

vegetable carving display exhibition
vegetable flowers made by my student

People and visitors

the City Day you are allowed to play in the fountains :)

visitors

Alley of Art at the central square

At the Alley of Art I bought books about Sakhalin history. One was an album with photographs of the city places in old times and nowdays. 

The city museum's building in 1930 and nowdays

A japanese building in 1930 and nowdays


7 коммент. :

sofía September 24, 2012 at 5:08 AM  

IMPRESIONANTE!!!! Eres una artista . Saludos

~~louise~~ September 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM  

That is just amazing, Selena!!! What a festive celebration!!!

Thank you so much for sharing...

Unknown September 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM  

Wow these are so creative! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog this evening! I'm now following your GFC!

-Fotini {http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

Kathleen Richardson September 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM  

What a fun event! Your carvings (as well as those of your students) and your displays are eye-catching. I hope you handed out lots of business cards with your contact info!

Selena Ze Arteest October 2, 2012 at 4:11 AM  

Kathleen, you are right! That day I collected about 50 phone numbers of the people interested in the carving class and my presentations. I also made a couple of presentations at schools after the exhibition.

Selena Ze Arteest October 2, 2012 at 4:14 AM  

Sofia, Louise, Glamorous Mommy, thanks for stopping by!

Unknown August 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM  

This Halloween activity is very interesting. We don't do it here in our place, maybe because we find it unethical to carve pumpkins as if we're making fun of a vegetable. But seriously, I am amazed with how talented those who could carve. Thanks for these pumpking carving ideas . I would love to list them on my collection please. Cheers and good day always!

Post a Comment

LEAVING A COMMENT CREATES GOOD KARMA

Tasty Query - recipes search engine

Food Communities

Carving on Foodista Half Hour Meals All recipes are on Petitchef All Cooking Sites

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP